A toothache is not an uncommon condition. Many people experience one at one time or another, in varying degrees of severity. When one hits during the night, it can affect your ability to sleep well and get the rest you need. Fortunately, there are some steps you can take to relieve the pain and discomfort.…
How to Save a Tooth When It Is Loose
Timely dental care is essential when you detect a tooth is loose. A loose tooth is one step away from falling out of your mouth and that might force you to get an artificial tooth. Getting to a dentist as soon as a loose tooth is detected can be the difference between only needing minor dental care treatments to restabilize the tooth or needing to undergo oral surgery for prosthetics like implants.
Getting dental care for a loose tooth
There are various reasons why a person might end up with a loose tooth. It might be the result of a habit like teeth grinding or trauma to the face due to physical activity or an accident. A loose tooth can also be a symptom of the advanced stage of gum disease called periodontitis.
How loose a tooth is determines the dental care treatment options a dentist might recommend. Some of the ways a dentist might go about trying to fix a loose tooth include:
- Using a splint: A dentist might be able to use a dental splint to hold a loose tooth in place. The splint is cemented to the loose teeth and anchored down on stable teeth next to it. Keeping the tooth stable allows it to bond with the bone and soft tissues keeping it in place
- A mouth guard: If a person’s loose tooth is caused by teeth grinding, the dentist might provide them with a nightguard that protects their teeth at night from the forces created by teeth grinding. This might be combined with a splint
- Deep cleaning: If a loose tooth is caused by gum disease, a dentist might treat the patient by performing a deep cleaning of their teeth. This involves cleaning the visible part of the tooth and pulling back on gum tissues to clean teeth roots. Laser deep cleanings are less invasive since there is no need to pull back gum tissues. Deep cleaning can be combined with a splint to treat a loose tooth
In some cases, the tissue and bone structures that support teeth are too damaged to reattach the tooth. When that is the case, the dentist might recommend replacing the tooth with an oral prosthetic like:
- Dental implants: These are artificial teeth roots that can be fitted with a crown to replace a missing tooth
- Bridges: Bridges are artificial teeth that are anchored down to the teeth closest to them. They are often recommended when a person has multiple teeth next to each other
- Dentures: These are the least invasive way to replace teeth. Partial dentures work great when a patient has more than one missing tooth
Get treatment for your loose tooth
Dealing with a loose tooth? It will not get better on its own. Give us a call or visit our Gilbert clinic to discuss treatment options with our dentist. The longer you wait to treat a loose tooth, the fewer treatment options you will have.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: General Dentist in Gilbert, AZ.
The key to having a healthy mouth and great teeth is consistency. The more consistent one is with regular dental visits, the less likely one is to have oral health problems. Along with proper at-home care, the secret is to visit at least twice a year for cleaning and examinations.While there are consequences in avoiding…
When you consider general dentistry, you may think about all the benefits these services provide. From a young age, you can get knowledgeable care from professionals who diagnose, treat, and prevent various conditions. Dentists can help you with oral health concerns and cosmetic issues that cause you grief. Tooth damage and tooth loss can be…
A general dentist can help decrease the risk of dental infection, helping you have a better weekend.Are you in need of a dental checkup? Has it been more than six months since your last appointment? Then visit our general dentist office for the treatment and professional cleaning you need. Along with checking for signs of…